October 13, 1925 – April 8, 2013
“The problem with socialism is that you eventually run out of other people’s money.”
- The only female prime minister of Great Britain.
- Called the Iron Lady, for her personal and political toughness.
- Only British prime minister of the 20th century to win three consecutive terms.
- She emphasized the rights of the individual versus that of the state, moral absolutism and nationalism.
- Enjoyed a close friendship and working relationship with President Ronald Reagan.
“Do you know that one of the great problems of our age is that we are governed by people who care more about feelings than they do about thoughts and ideas.” — Margaret Thatcher
“There are significant differences between the American and European version of capitalism. The American traditiionally emphasizes the need for limited government, light regulations, low taxes and maximum labour-market flexibility. Its success has been shown above all in the ability to create new jobs, in which it is consistently more successful than Europe.” — Margaret Thatcher